Kingswood Museum: Hanham Athletic FC: 'The Miners'
ONE of the Museum’s new exhibitions for 2020 features one of the oldest football clubs in the Bristol area, Hanham Athletic FC. The exhibition has been put together with the assistance of the club, and includes photographs of teams and players past and present, club memorabilia and trophies.
The Gloucestershire FA recognises the Club as being established in 1896, however the Club is believed to have been established much earlier. The earliest league records of the club date from 1895, when the club played in the South and Bristol District League Division 1 under the name of Hanham Football Club.
Hanham Athletic currently play in the Premier Division of the Gloucestershire County League. They played in the FA Cup in the 1940s and 1950s, as well as the FA Vase during the 1970s, and played in the GFA Trophy in 1960 v Bristol Rovers A at the then Eastville Stadium (now Tesco’s), practicing beforehand under lights which they had not experienced before.
The club has close ties with the local mining industry. This was illustrated during an FA Cup tie with Torquay United in 1921. Athletic drew 2-2 at Torquay, but lost the replay 3-1 at the Swan Ground (Vicarage Rd). The story goes that the referee at the home game told the Hanham players, who wore all white kit, to return to the changing rooms to wash before kick off because they had only just come from the local coal pits.
The museum is open every Tuesday and Saturday from 11 am to 5 pm, and admission is free.