February 2022: Kingswood Memories

January 29 2022

Hanham Court

Hanham Court features a Grade II listed manor house, extensive gardens, a parish church with a medieval tithe barn, and an attractive duck pond.

It is not known when the first manor house was built, but it seems certain that a house did exist in Saxon times. The Manor was confiscated by William the Conqueror following the Norman Conquest and given to Ernulf de Hesding, one of his powerful barons. The Manor was mentioned in the Domesday Book that was compiled in 1086.

The Norman manor house was embellished over many generations with Early English, Tudor and 18th and 19th century alteration and additions. The house was famously visited by King James II in 1686, when the house was owned by the Creswicke family. 

The gardens were more recently restored and developed by Chelsea Gold Medallist designers Julian and Isabel Bannerman, who have now moved on. The gardens contain a wide range of scented plants, and feature a variety of fountains and temples, orchards and wildflowers.

Hanham Court